Monday, April 16, 2012

So I guess I'll catch up in spurts....

I do want the whole Ironman journey recorded and I did have a blog kind of dialogue going on my TrainingPeaks (online triathlon logging website) but since starting a new coach I'm keeping that for straight workout related comments so I'm moving the extra commentary here.  I actually like that quite a bit, separating the information.  So what I'll do is that I'll slowly over the following year move over the past comments but I'll keep blogging moving forward.

So had a very disappointing trainer ride on Saturday, the kind that makes me want to quit and forget all this Ironman nonsense and go back to Zumba.  10.5 miles per hour.  (a trainer is a device that lets you ride your bike inside).  I'm like, really?  Train for 3.5 months and this is all I have to show for it, my worst ride yet?  Never mind improving, I'm DEproving.  When that happens I allow myself half an hour of wallowing (if it lasts that much) and then move on to the next day.  I'm actually surprised at the level of commitment I have towards this.  But even at the worst rate I've posted all year, I can STILL meet the cutoff on Saturday and have fifteen minutes left for the first transition.  And I haven't ridden that slow on the course.  They even say you do on the road 1.5 the distance you do on the trainer.  So maybe it will all click together Saturday.

Race day coming up in six days.  Getting really nervous.  Which I always do before every race.  I have, since the first of the year through 4/15/12, ran a total of 139.14 miles, biked a total of 718.26 miles, and swam a total of 12.83 miles (20648 meters, or about 826 lengths of the pool or about 413 out and back laps), and trained a total of 107 hours, 46 minutes, and 23 seconds over 105 days, so about an hour a day or an average of 7 hours a week for an Olympic, and this includes base building which starts up slowly.  Yes I'm trying to make myself feel better over what I see as a paltry number of hours, but once I start training for the Half Ironman after 5/6 and the Full Ironman after 10/20 that will amp up quite a bit.

I've done the bike course twice, viewed YouTube videos on transitions, practiced transition, had a practice triathlon, practiced things I plan to do on race day, took a look at the course online.  I've prepared a lot more for this than for any other triathlon, so I guess now it's just to execute.  Easy week coming up, taper week.  Any training that was going to make a difference has already been done.

Pumpkinman is going to be a challenge.  I need to get that course in 4 hours to be comfortable with the cutoffs, or around 14 MPH.  So I have 23 weeks to practice it.  Hopefully it's enough time.  The swim and the run are not worrying me, that bike is.  But now I know what I'm facing and what I need to meet and improve :)

No comments:

Post a Comment