Friday, April 6, 2012

Equipment

So let's do a little post on equipment.  I'm a big believer that you should start out with what you have.  Don't wait until have it all to start.  I did my first tri in a swimsuit (in one of the best swim days ever, temperature-wise), and my first two tris in cotton and long sweat pants.  No clipless pedals.

Clothing - I now have a one piece trisuit but I'm ditching it for a two piece.  When I have to go potty I have to undo the whole thing and the built-in bra takes minutes to get back on.  Not happening.  Live and learn.  At least I got to use it once and I guess I can still use it for training sessions.  I got so frustrated when I used it on the tri club tri when I had to go before the run that I just zipped it back up with the bra part still open (it has a separate zipper) and found that even without the built in bra closed it holds it all packed in, but why have that extra cloth in there if I'm not going to use it?

Training watch - upgraded from the 305 that I got in 2010 to the 910XT and other than it froze three times, I like it when it works.  It froze after the swim portion of the tri club tri and I would have been majorly pissed if that had been an A race.  Someone got it working for me as I stripped the wetsuit off.  I'm looking into firmware upgrades before RAGE.  Froze twice during brick workouts.  It only freezes during bricks.  Have the heart rate monitor, foot pod for running, and cadence and speed sensors for the bike.

Clipless - if I can do clipless, ANYONE can do clipless.  I have a dual-sided platform (regular-looking pedals) with clipless (mountain bike cleats) and it works wells for me, and I'm getting good and unclipping and reclipping.  I want speed play pedals in a few months, definitely by Pumpkinman Half in October.
Bike - got a riser for the neck for my short torso, replaced the 25 cassette with a 28, the standard crank with a compact, and finally replaced the stock seat.

Running - I LOVE my Headsweats cap and I hate hats.  Best.  Cap.  Ever.  I love my Sketchers GoRuns and I'm on my second pair of the same model of Reeboks, I've moved on from Asiks for now, I want to try Newtons and Nike Free 3.0 next.

Swimming - it turns out I had a diving wetsuit, not a tri wetsuit.  Got an Xterra full sleeve, get to try it out this weekend.

Got all of that gradually.  And finally replaced the Cyclops Fluid one trainer with the Cyclops Fluid 2 so that I can get power data from Trainer Road.  I'm going to have trainer workouts so I will run a Trainer Road workout and ignore the workout it gives me and just use it for data recording while I do my own workout and see how it all pans out the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment